Duration: 90 minutes including question and answer session.
Presenter(s): James Ottavio Castagnera, Ph.D. and attorney at law
Price: $299.00 On-Demand includes full audio presentation, question and answer session, and presentation slides.
Who Should Attend? College and university administrators, attorneys representing colleges and universities, compliance personnel, student services, finance, IT, department heads
Best For: Higher education
From Admissions to Advancement, from Procurement to Payroll, from Government Grants to Study Abroad exchanges to IT, the world of the university administrator is saturated with contracts. Large enough institutions may be able to rely on the general counsel’s office to review most agreements. But even institutions with robust legal offices can’t place all contracting responsibility on the G.C.’s shoulders. From the Athletic Department to Academic Affairs, and every function in between, high- and mid-level officers and administrators need to know the basics of contract law, plus institutional policy and procedure in order to carry out the university’s business efficiently and effectively.
Please join Dr. Jim Castagnera, Esq., a lawyer with 10 years of major law firm practice and 22 years of higher ed experience, as legal counsel for the academic affairs division of his university, as he walks you and your team through the fundamentals of contract law and best practices as they impact your day-to-day operations.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Just a sampling of what this webinar will cover:
- What are the critical components of any contract?
- What are the most commonly encountered contracts in higher education?
- And what are the most common contract disputes that higher ed administrators encounter?
- How much authority should administrators at various levels and across university’s divisions enjoy to negotiate and execute binding agreements?
- What are the key boilerplate provisions no contract should be without?
- The roles of the General Counsel, the CFO, the President and the Provost, and the Board, when it comes to binding the university.
- Where does enterprise risk management come into the picture?
- Dealing with breaches of contract… both yours and theirs… using the right tactics and the right team.
YOUR CONFERENCE LEADER
Your conference leader for “Contracts for Higher Education Administrators: Understanding the Basics Is Key to Your Role” is Dr. James Ottavio Castagnera. Dr. Castagnera holds a JD and a PhD from Case Western Reserve University. He was a labor/employment and IP lawyer with a major Philadelphia law firm for a decade before becoming legal counsel at a New Jersey university. For the past 22 years in that capacity, his duties have included drafting, reviewing and enforcing labor and employment contracts; internship, affiliation and student-exchange agreements; government grants and contracts, and international memorandums of understanding. He also is an adjunct professor of law in the Drexel University School of Law, and the principal consultant/co-owner of Holland Media Services, LLC. He has published 21 books, most recently Riding the Fifth Wave in Higher Education: A Survival Guide for the New Normal (NY: Peter Lang 2017).
EducationAdminWebAdvisor.com QUALITY COMMITMENT
EducationAdminWebAdvisor, a division of DKG Media, LP, wants you to be satisfied with your webinar. If this webinar does not meet your expectations, email us at service@EducationAdminWebAdvisor.com.
CERTIFICATES OF PARTICIPATION
EducationAdminWebAdvisor certificates of participation are available to everyone completing this webinar.