Dress Codes And Legal Liability: Essential Information For K-12 Schools
Student dress can be a means of student expression, but increasing numbers of schools are implementing or considering stringent dress code requirements or school-mandated uniform policies. This session, presented by nationally-recognized school law attorney, Erin D. Gilsbach, Esq., is designed to provide schools with an overview of the law regarding student dress and identify potential issues and legally-defensible best practices regarding school regulation of student dress and enforcement of school-wide dress codes and uniform policies.
In this timely and practical webinar, Atty. Gilsbach will answer such questions as: What is the interplay between a student’s right to free expression and a school’s right to regulate student dress? What legal rights do schools have regarding the prohibition of student dress that may pose a safety/security risk? (This includes prohibiting the wearing of colors and/or items commonly associated with gang use or prohibiting clothing bearing messages or symbols that may spark unrest or disruption of the school environment.) What is the law regarding student dress and religious rights, such as the wearing of religious jewelry, hijabs/religious headwear, and/or other non-conforming religious dress? This session will provide essential information, guidance, and best-practice tips so you can feel confident about what you can and can’t do when it comes to student dress codes.
In this session, Atty. Gilsbach will discuss the following topics and issues:
- The law regarding student rights to free expression through dress.
- The law regarding a school’s right to regulate student dress.
- The legal implications of and potential liability regarding the over-regulation of student dress.
- Legal issues specific to non-public schools and student dress issues.
- Legal issues and best practices regarding public school uniform policies.
- Recent issues and caselaw regarding student dress.
- Best-practice tips for schools regarding student dress issues.
- And much more!
EducationAdminWebAdvisor.com Quality Commitment
EducationAdminWebAdvisor, a division of CareerLearning, wants you to be satisfied with your webinar. If this webinar does not meet your expectations, email us at [email protected].