Duration: Scheduled for 90 minutes including question and answer session.
Presenter: Dr. James Ottavio Castagnera, Esq., managing director of K&C HR Enterprises and legal counsel at Rider University
Price: $299.00, download includes full audio presentation, question and answer session, and presentation slides.
Who Should Attend? Administrators, faculty, staff, department chairs, deans, student services, legal counsel, study abroad staff
Best For: Higher education
Off-campus trips, typically led by faculty (and sometimes staff), are constantly growing in popularity at colleges and universities across the country. But as these types of excursions increase, so too will the frequency of lawsuits, sweeping both faculty leaders and their institutions into the litigation net. United Educators identifies four principal causes for the average $50,000 per claim it annually pays: failure to follow institutional policy; negligent supervision of students; inappropriate employee sexual conduct, and improper medical care. And since all of these sources of liability are fully foreseeable, vicarious liability comes back on the college or university sponsor.
Whether coordinating a day trip to a local museum or a 10-day service trip abroad, it’s absolutely crucial to contract responsible providers and negotiate the most favorable contract terms. Furthermore, thorough training and orientation are imperative, as leaders and followers alike must be informed of culture and customs; alerted to any special hazards inherent in the particular destination; and briefed on communication protocols in emergency situations.
Please join Dr. Jim Castagnera for comprehensive guidance on implementing the appropriate safety nets before students embark on off-campus trips. To avoid both tragedy and liability, your motto must be, “Foresee it and fix… before it happens.”
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Just a sampling of what this webinar will cover:
- Creating a short-term study tour policy and a health & safety manual
- Picking the right third-party providers
- Negotiating the economically optimum travel experience, while securing indemnification and sufficient insurance-coverage from your provider
- Training faculty leaders to react quickly in emergency situations
- Vetting student applicants with regard to disciplinary and health considerations
- Right-sizing the group with the number & qualifications of its leaders
- Determining if alumni and/or friends of the university will be allowed to participate, and at what additional risk to your institution
- Streamlining and guiding the visa-application process, if applicable
- Selecting the right international insurance coverage for faculty and student participants
- Establishing protocols for emergencies, including sickness & injury; disciplinary issues; and weather-related crises
YOUR CONFERENCE LEADER
Your conference leader for “Faculty-Led Off-Campus Trips: Keeping Students Safe and Faculty Out of Court” is Dr. James Ottavio Castagnera. Jim holds a JD and a PhD from Case Western Reserve University. He was a labor, employment, and intellectual property lawyer at the Philadelphia law firm of Saul Ewing for ten years before joining Rider University as associate provost and legal counsel for academic affairs. His portfolio in that capacity has included regulatory compliance and research integrity; labor relations, litigation management, and dispute resolution; human subjects research, animal facilities, and lab safety; international faculty and student issues; services to students with disabilities; academic-program development, and academic governance matters. His publications include 21 books, mostly on education and employment topics. He teaches human-resource compliance courses online for Drexel University’s law school and is the chief consultant for his company, K&C HR Enterprises/Holland Media Services.
EducationAdminWebAdvisor.com QUALITY COMMITMENT
EducationAdminWebAdvisor, a division of DKG Media, LP, wants you to be satisfied with your webinar. If this webinar does not meet your expectations, email us at service@EducationAdminWebAdvisor.com.
CERTIFICATES OF PARTICIPATION
EducationAdminWebAdvisor certificates of participation are available to everyone completing this webinar.